French Radishes with Butter and Salt

by Karen on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Post image for French Radishes with Butter and Salt

Radishes with butter and salt is a French classic.  Because of its simplicity, it's important to use quality ingredients such as fleur de sel, fresh crunchy radishes and good butter.  Good salt simply deepens the flavor of the butter and radishes allowing you to enjoy the simplicity of each ingredient in harmony with each other.

Radishes sandwiched between buttered bread is a traditional children's snack in France.  However, you could easily serve individual radishes with a side of butter and salt as a beautiful appetizer.

- 1 bundle of radishes
- a few spoonfuls of fleur de sel or sea salt
- 1/2 stick of butter (unsalted), softened
- 1 baguette, sliced

For sandwiches, spread butter on slices of bread and top with thinly sliced radishes.  Sprinkle a small pinch of salt over the radishes.  As an spread, nestle rinsed and dried radishes on a bed of salt and serve butter on the side.

Nadia January 11, 2011 at 11:12 am

This is an all-time favorite combo of mine. I could exist on bread and butter. The radishes give that extra perk, and of course the salt. Love your photos, as usual. :)

Belinda @zomppa January 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

This is one of those dishes that I am always amazed how good it is, and when I eat it, wonder why I don’t have it more often!

Valerie January 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Gorgeous photos! Makes me want to go to France so badly!

Sasha @ Global Table Adventure January 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Yum. I lived in France for a few years and my favorite after school snack was toasted slices of brioche sandwiches with nutella inside. My friend called them tartinés (spelling might be off). Oh man was that good.

Azita January 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love radishes but I’ve never tried that with salt and butter. I’m going to give this French sandwich a try soon. It sounds so wonderful! Beautiful photos!

Thursdayyoga January 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Holy Jesus; can you come over and make this for me when I’m too busy teaching my students to even think of washing a radish? Will you teach me how to buy salt too?

I have to say this post excited me more than anything because of its simplicity. And the fact that radishes are so cleansing…but a little too yummy, dirty with that butter.

Yum.

Karen January 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Yes, I’ll teach you how to buy salt if you can get me into handstand (without a wall) :) Glad you like the “dirty” radishes, me too!

Janice haugen March 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm

What beautiful photographs! I had thought this combination was French, as I remembered a photo in an old Time/Life book of a young French boy sitting in a field with one of these snacks in his hand. Thanks for the memories ;-)

J April 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Do you personally use unsalted butter? I’d assume so… But just want to be sure. :) Thank you!