Yorkshire Pudding: Eating the UK

by Karen on Friday, November 26, 2010

Post image for Yorkshire Pudding: Eating the UK

Yorkshire pudding is something I always make with rib roast and is traditionally eaten with Sunday roast in the UK.  Similar to a popover, it is a simple wet batter that is baked in beef drippings in a large pan and cut up into squares or baked in individual popover pans (you can use a muffin pan if you don’t have popover pans, but I use them all the time so it’s a worthwhile buy for me.  Plus they’re cheap).

If you don’t have a big roast occasion to eat Yorkshire pudding, you can make it with butter instead of beef drippings and eat them with some fruit, jam or just more butter.  It is custardy and airy in the inside and crunchy brown on the outside.  Like a little balloon of heaven….

For the best Yorkshire pudding with the most dramatic rise, follow these tips:

1) Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.  You can make the batter ahead of time and just let it sit on the counter until you’re ready to make them

2) DON’T PEAK!  Don’t open the oven door while your Yorkshire pudding is baking, they won’t puff as well.

3) Eat immediately.  Yorkshire puddings are best when eaten warm and still puffy.  After a while they’ll deflate, still good but doesn’t have that wow factor!

Makes 6 individual Yorkshire puddings made in popover pans (around 10 in muffin tins)

- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- beef drippings (or substitute with vegetable oil)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees with the rack placed at the lowest setting.

In a large Pyrex measuring cup, whisk the eggs, flour, whole milk, butter and kosher salt together.  Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.  A large 2 qt Pyrex measuring cup is the best use of $10.  Because you will have to quickly pour the batter into screaming hot pans, this cup’s spout is incredibly helpful in accomplishing this task.  Imagine with a bowl and ladle how messy that would get.  Plus you can directly measure the ingredients into the cup– one less dish to wash!  (This applies for waffles and pancakes too)

Pour 1/2 tsp of beef drippings in each cup of the popover pan (or 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil).  Put the pan back in oven for about 5 minutes until the oil gets very hot.  Pull the pan out of the oven and working quickly evenly distribute the batter halfway up each cup.  Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes longer.  Serve pipping hot.

Yorkshire lass, UK. November 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

Sorry but Yorkshire puddings are never baked in ‘pop over pans’ and they are definitely not a biscuit! Gave me a chuckle anyhow seeing those strange, long looking puddings.

Karen November 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

Thanks for sharing your take on Yorkshire pudding. I found a ton of recipes for the pudding that included muffin tins and popover pans to serve as individual servings. The beauty of cooking is getting creative in the kitchen!

Joana November 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

I had never heard of muffiny yorkshire puddings either, but these look fun!

Lombardi Girl November 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm

My Mom has made Yorkshire pudding for years. My sisters and I would literally fight over the pieces. She made hers in a large cast-iron skillet. To die for! Thanks for reminding me that I must make some soon!

Valerie November 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Whatever the form, these were unbelievably delicious. I’ll crave them every moment until I get to enjoy them again! I think doing them in popover pans was brilliant because it made the outsides really flaky, plus we each got our own beautiful looking individual serving!

Vicky December 1, 2010 at 9:23 am

Here in the UK they’re a standard partner to roast beef for Sunday lunch, but my family love the leftovers for Monday morning – smeared in strawberry jam (they have the same basic ingredients as crepes just whisked a lot more). While it is a little odd to eat the same thing with gravy one day and then jam the next, I adore them.

And no, definitely nothing like a biscuit in any form! Tee hee!

shayma December 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm

really love your photos on your blog- lots of natural light. x shayma

Lizzy December 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Saw your post, yum! I cant eat wheat anymore but that doesn’t mean I can’t miss the Yorkshire pudding at Lawry’s. Yours look a lot better!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) December 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Those yorkshire pudding look amazing!

angi December 10, 2010 at 1:18 am

Thanks for this – I was just talking the other day about how I really want to try making Yorkshire pudding after eating them for the first time at this steak place in SF. The stars must be aligned because then I find that you’ve written a post teaching me how to make them. I’ll have to try with muffin pans though, so I hope they turn out ok!

Patti January 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I was searching for a new recipe for Yorkshire Puddings and came across your picture of them in the popover pans. I have the exact same pans and my puddings look the same and taste awesome! My husband’s from Yorkshire and he doesn’t care how they look, he’s just happy that they taste good! Thank you for this page. I thought I was the only proud person who uploaded photos of their puddings when they turn out so beautifully!

Debbi August 7, 2012 at 2:19 am

Hi being from the UK I have yorkshire pudding tins, a newish one (15 years +) and one my late Nanna gave me (35+ years). I use these when I want four large puddings or four mini Toad in the Holes (Yorkshire Pdding and Sausages). However when there is a lot of us at Christmas I use muffin tins as it is easier to make 12 or 24 small ones than keep making 4 large.

Jenn February 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Will they work if I use a silicone muffin pan?

Rose March 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thank you for this recipe! Living in Texas and growing up on Yorkshire pudding I’ve always wanted to try and make it on my own. My grandmother used to make it with a delicious roast. I’ve never really had a reason to cook a roast so didn’t really have a chance to try it out. Now I can make them without the roast and they taste just as delicious. Just made them for my kids and they love them.

Whitney September 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Oh, yum! I had Yorkshire pudding on my visit to London a few months ago with some pot roast, and it was delicious. I think I’ll try this soon.